Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:51:06 -0400

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:36:44 +0100 David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:

DE> Ted Zlatanov writes:

>> - the Gnus project has a person dedicated to Bazaar-Git bidirectional
>> synchronization; it is a very demanding task for the rest of us.

DE> Well, I don't believe that git will make cross-project merges easier, at
DE> least not until someone shows me how (and don't just say "submodules",
DE> please ;-) ).

The challenge for me is matching Bazaar and Git commits and
synchronizing them because I don't know Bazaar and don't use it for any
other purpose.  I am pretty sure that's the case for the rest of the
Gnus contributors (Julien is one of them; Lars doesn't like Bazaar much
IIRC; we chose Git over Bazaar years ago and have not regretted it).

For this specific case, `git filter-branch' will probably be used to
rewrite paths the way you describe, but that's a technical detail.
Git-Git sync is just much easier logistically.

Ted