using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks (was: Anyone building Emacs trun

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: using GnuTLS 3.x and certificate checks (was: Anyone building Emacs trunk with MinGW w64 (32 bits))
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:17:38 -0400

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:03:59 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> gnutls.c:117:1: warning: 'gnutls_connection_end_t' is deprecated
>> [-Wdeprecated-declarations]

EZ> Ted, could you please look into this?

This function was deprecated in GnuTLS 2.99.

3.1.10 is the latest.  I used 2.x when I did the GnuTLS support, but by
now 3.x is much more widely distributed so I think we can switch to it.
Fortunately, the changes will be minimal because the API hasn't changed
significantly AFAIK.  So this is mostly a policy decision.

At least in Ubuntu 12.10, GnuTLS 3.x is the default.  I know it's
already what people use on W32 and MacOS X.  What about other platforms?
Any concerns?

This would also be a good time to enable SSL certificate verification by
default.  We said we'd wait until 24.3 is out to make that change.

Ted