Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:39:43 -0400

>> Well, I don't believe that git will make cross-project merges easier, at
>> least not until someone shows me how (and don't just say "submodules",
>> please ;-) ).
> I'm pretty sure it does make this easier:
>     http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Subtree-Merging

The core of the problem is bidirectional merging.  AFAIK none of the
current DVCS have an answer for that.  Subtree merging is nice, but it's
still unidirectional.

For bidirectional merging, you end up having to do some of the work
outside of the DVCS proper, in which case having Bazaar on one side and
Git on the other doesn't make much difference.  Especially since you can
use things like bzr-git to translate a branch from one system to
the other.

        Stefan