Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:58:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> Well, I don't believe that git will make cross-project merges easier, at
>>> least not until someone shows me how (and don't just say "submodules",
>>> please ;-) ).
>> I'm pretty sure it does make this easier:
>>     http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Subtree-Merging
>
> The core of the problem is bidirectional merging.  AFAIK none of the
> current DVCS have an answer for that.  Subtree merging is nice, but it's
> still unidirectional.

Exactly. The other problem is this little "one of the projects maps to a
subdirectory of the other one", which AFAIK must be taken literally.

> For bidirectional merging, you end up having to do some of the work
> outside of the DVCS proper, in which case having Bazaar on one side and
> Git on the other doesn't make much difference.  Especially since you can
> use things like bzr-git to translate a branch from one system to
> the other.

Let me also point to

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/git-remote-hg-bzr-2/

which is pretty magic (and *almost* manages to convert the CEDET repo).

But in the end, you just do the 'diff | patch' game, no matter which
VCS.

-David