Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files (was: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files (was: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 12:05:08 +0100

On 28 mrt. 2013, at 10:55, Christopher Schmidt <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
>> The most time consuming thing is fixing ChangeLogs (we don't have any
>> in CEDET and generate them from commit logs).
>
> I would like to suggest another change - how about removing ChangeLog
> files from the development repository.  I think these files are
> redundant to the commit log of the vc.
>
> Removing the files from the repository would clean diffs and reduce
> merge conflicts.  Considering distributed vc, a project's history cannot
> be thought of as to be list of consecutive increments.
>
> Distributions of Emacs could include ChangeLog files generated from the
> vc commit log, of course.
>
> Do I make sense?  Are there any drawbacks?

I think it makes sense.  In fact, org-mode does already create
ChangeLog entries automatically from git commit messages.  We
enforce commit message to have a section that does look just
like a ChangeLog entry, and we extract these when the time
is ripe for another merge with Emacs.  Here is a recent
example of such a commit message:

org.el (org-store-link): Storing multiple links in the active region now
requires a triple prefix argument

* org.el (org-store-link): Storing multiple links in the active region now
  requires a triple prefix argument.

Thanks to Matt Lundin for reporting bugs in this area.

Indeed, this process does get rid of many conflicts, because the adding of text
to the
beginning of a file (like ChangeLog) often causes merge conflicts.  And it
avoids a lot of duplicate work.

- Carsten