Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:14:42 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
> David Engster writes:
>
>  > Emacs->CEDET: Now that's tedious. You have to first generate a list of
>  > commits in Emacs trunk which changed files from CEDET. Then you try to
>  > cherry-pick those commits into the 'from-emacs' branch.
>
> Have you tried Robert Collins' looms?  It seems to me that they would
> help with this (but last time I checked they require a different
> branch format).

It looks interesting, but I haven't tried it, because as you say, it
converts your branches so that you can only use them with the loom
plugin afterwards. Also, development on the loom plugin seems to have
stalled, to no surprise of anyone.

I'm already worried enough that the CEDET repository seems to be locked
inside bzr with no available conversion, so I'm not eager to further
complicate things.  I'm really hoping that with Richard weighing in,
things will improve again.  I think our time is better spend then
switching yet again to another VCS.

-David