Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:07:50 +0400

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:45:44 +0300
From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
Btw: bzr logs all of its times in .bzr.log, so you don't need any
additional programs to time it.  (I wish git had such a comprehensive
logging facility, it proved invaluable for me quite a few times in the
past.)

If you mean that it writes to ~/bazaar/.bzr.log, then it doesn't, here. The file exists, but all the entries there are from September 1st last year. Not important, just an aside.

> Attached below.

Thank you. It inspired me to run the same non-interactive tests you did, and indeed the full 'git log lisp\progmodes\ruby-mode.el > NUL' invocation is non-instantaneous every time, and it's on the same order of magnitude as 'bzr log', although the latter takes twice as long:

emacs-git-savannah>timep git log lisp\progmodes\ruby-mode.el > NUL

real    00h00m04.652s
user    00h00m00.000s
sys     00h00m00.015s

emacs-bzr\trunk>timep bzr log lisp\progmodes\ruby-mode.el > NUL

real    00h00m08.269s
user    00h00m07.878s
sys     00h00m00.280s

But! Git starts streaming output just as soon as it can, hence my earlier impression that the command is instantaneous. If you redirect its output to 'less' (like I did in the command I sent in one of the previous messages), you'll see that the viewer opens near instantly, and allows you to view the latest commits while the VCS fetches the older data. Same thing happens when a user calls `vc-print-log' in Emacs, and it makes all the difference.

Here's a more striking example. Show the last 40 commits:

emacs-git-savannah>timep git log -40 lisp\progmodes\ruby-mode.el > NUL

real    00h00m00.226s
user    00h00m00.015s
sys     00h00m00.000s

emacs-bzr\trunk>timep bzr log -l 40 lisp\progmodes\ruby-mode.el > NUL

real    00h00m08.273s
user    00h00m07.878s
sys     00h00m00.265s

Git is finally fast, but Bazaar is as slow as when it retrieves the full history.

>> I don't see this kind of problem with Git, but maybe I just haven't
>> tried it with a repository hosted on the same server as Bazaar one.

> I did, just now: (...)

I tried it, too, and here Git wins hands-down.

Here's how long it takes to update both when they are already up-to-date (staging a situation when they're the same number of revisions out-of-date is harder):

emacs-git-savannah>timep git pull
Already up-to-date.

real    00h00m02.139s
user    00h00m00.000s
sys     00h00m00.031s

emacs-bzr\trunk>timep bzr update
Дерево в актуальной ревизии 112180 ветви bzr+ssh://address@hidden/emacs/trunk

real    00h00m09.963s
user    00h00m00.343s
sys     00h00m00.202s

Before that, I updated this Bazaar clone from a several-days-old revision, and it took 4 minutes. I don't have a similar result for Git to compare, but considering it cloned the whole history in 30 minutes (same as on your machine), it will likely be faster.

emacs-bzr\trunk>timep bzr update
+N  lisp/eshell/em-tramp.el
 M  ChangeLog
 M  admin/CPP-DEFINES