Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 13:33:04 +0530

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>>>   - Accept no further changes from him.
>>>   - Don't let him post on the dev mailing lists any more, period.
>>
>>I may have a stinking personality.  But the code I write has a secular
>>nature.  The code doesn't take the smell of the hand it types.
>
> As W. Greenhouse also pointed out, the issue is not your code itself
> (the quality of which is not in question) but the fact that people can't
> count on your future code being usable in Emacs.  People can't count on
> *their* investment in your code having the anticipated payoff, for them.
> That makes your future contributions unsafe; ergo, Emacs should not
> accept them.
>
> I made this point pretty clearly in my orginal post, but make it again
> here only in case anyone watching was thrown by your confusion of two
> separate issues.

I have nothing against you having an opinion on what should be done and
nor do I shy of receiving adverse criticism on a public mailing list.

Also the following article [1],

        http://lwn.net/Articles/543339/#Comments

keeps reminding me that I am the one who has breached the trust.  I
don't think I have breached anyone's trust.

I ported the ox-html.el and ox-odt.el exporters when no one else -
including Bastien or Carsten - were available to invest substantial time
to port the work.  Remember this was done with the sole intention of
off-loading some of the work of Nicolas Goaziou.  Remember the porting
was done when Ngz work was in alpha or late-alpha stage.

(You seem to respond donning the hat of a community manager.)

Bastien has been consistently rubbing me on the wrong side for a *very
long* time.  Do you think Bastien resorting to rewriting of history
[2][3] is a proper etiquette?  There is a limit to how absurd a person
can behave.  What is wrong, if I request that my work be reverted, given
the circumstances?

By continuing to work on Org-mode, I am supporting Bastien which I don't
intend to.  I don't approve of what he is doing (in his role as a
maintainer) nor do I think that the generaly public should be coaxed in
to responding favorably to Bastien's call for donations (particularly
for impending Org-8.0 release.)

[1] I have not received my $1 or any GNU stickers
[2]
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=b7c776418868966b980a0b1be89bf7bfabde7685
[3]
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=72879342d8ba67fe3b1f3f8cb67f37bfffa1a529