Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 03:05:25 +0530

Richard

>     At what point does a piece of code or a diff become a "change to Emacs"?
>
> A diff for Emacs is always a change to Emacs.
> I will think about the questions raised by a separate Lisp file.

I was thinking (more) about your response.  It opens two problems.

1. "Future Assignment" as an annexation policy rather than as a defence.

2. Artificial polarization (of people) by having "assigned" or
   "unassigned" contributors .  IMO, there should only be "assigned
   work" and "unassigned work" (or "acquired" and "unacquired" work).
   It's the work that is polarized and not the people.

I am taking "Developer's initiative" to report "work convered by this
contract" and it seems like my act is viewed as a taboo.  See Item 2 of
the assignment contract which says:

    | 2. Developer will report occasionally, on Developer’s initiative and
    |    whenever requested by FSF, the changes and/ or enhancements which are
    |    covered by this contract, and (to the extent known to Developer) any
    |    outstanding rights, or claims of rights, of any person, that might be
    |    adverse to the rights of Developer or FSF or to the purpose of this
    |    contract.

I wish that FSF being a non-commercial entity be forthcoming with
information on how I can withhold or terminate an assignment.  For
example, my Cable TV provider advertizes how I can subscribe via SMS to
a paid movie channel.  But he never discloses (readily) how I can
un-subscribe from the subscribed channels.

Just my 2 cents.

Jambunathan K.