Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:02:20 +0300

Eli Zaretskii [2013-04-02 19:38:26 +0300] wrote:

> From: Teemu Likonen <address@hidden>
>> I think Git is liked so much because it gives a lot of power to user.
>> There was this time when the "Git opposition" had some/many
>> philosophical reason why a DVCS software shouldn't allow user do
>> various things. From certain point of view they can be right but
>> users chose Git anyway because it has the functionality that they
>> want.
>
> If it were that simple, Emacs would have been much more popular editor
> than it is now. Yet, somehow that didn't quite happen. Perhaps "a lot
> of power" is not the single most important reason, after all.

Yes, and the other in my message was "the functionality that they
[users] want." Meaning features that matter.

In his retrospective Velmer Vernooij said:

    We lost sight of what mattered for our users, focusing on features
    that were nice but perhaps not as necessary as we thought. We
    overengineered. We didn't get rid of the crufty unnecessary
    features. It's harder to comprehend, contribute to or fix
    performance issues in a large layered codebase. And the larger a
    codebase becomes, the larger the surface for bugs, the harder it is
    to refactor.

http://stationary-traveller.eu/pages/bzr-a-retrospective.html