Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:14:16 +0300

> From: "John Wiegley" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 12:47:34 -0500
>
> The reason (personally) why I do not want Mercurial to become the Emacs VCS is
> for the same reason I don't like bzr: Because it's not used by a *single*
> project whose VCS I track or contribute to.  I don't know the UI, and have
> never had any reason to know the UI.  I'm not even sure I have Mercurial
> installed!
>
> Meanwhile, the number of Git repositories on my machine today: 457.

Are you saying that the project should choose its VCS because you
personally use it exclusively, or because you personally don't want to
learn a new UI?  That'd be absurd.  What about the hours _I_ invested
in learning bzr -- doesn't that count?  What about the collective
hours invested in incorporating bzr into our workflows and
pretest/release cycles, and into writing admin/notes and bzrmerge.el?
do we just throw that away and start from scratch?  Is your personal
happiness really worth that much to justify all that waste?

Selecting a VCS is a prerogative of the head maintainers.  Sometimes
they will ask contributors for opinions, sometimes they won't (I
participate in projects that did either of these).  The only thing
that matters is that the selected VCS supports the platforms that the
project cares about, and that it is reasonably efficient.  Whether
J.R. Hacker is or isn't happy about the choice is not really relevant.
I know, because a couple of projects to which I contribute switched to
git, and no one asked me whether I was happy (nor should they).

Sorry for being blunt, but this is just waaaaay out of line, even for
this thread.