Emacs as the windows manager for graphical windows, How can I help?

From: Malk'Zameth
Subject: Emacs as the windows manager for graphical windows, How can I help?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 12:04:35 +0200

Hello all!

I have always dreamed of using emacs as my WM, or at least opening a
graphical webbrowser inside Emacs, (only program I use outside Emacs
is my browser anyway, and I do use w3m.el for loads of stuff).

I was not the only one dreaming, because during the @EmacsConf this
past weekend I saw a presentation of the Emacs xwidget patch (
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/xwidget/files ) by Joakim Verona
( http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/JoakimVerona ) that does just that!

During his presentation he opens a webkit browser inside emacs,
watches streaming html5 videos and opens an Emacs inside Emacs.

So I asked Joakim : "Can this be merged into mainline Emacs?"

and he answered : "It is a matter of someone having the time and
patience to format the patch so it can be accepted into the mainline
Emacs"

Well, time to put my free time where my mouth is : I volunteer to work
on that, giving it all my "sideproject time" from the first of may
until completion.

I have never hacked Emacs source itself (maybe there is a welcome
guide somewhere?) and I am a newbie to Emacs lisp itself (only emacs
lisp I've done: ugly init.el config
https://github.com/malk/.emacs.d/blob/master/init.el ) but I am a
developer by trade and I do want to invest my time on that.

This Email here is to announce me volunteering but also to ask:
1. What needs to be done? what "format" does a code needs to conform
to be acceptable by the mainline Emacs?

2. Where do I need to apply to have the right to contribute those
changes to emacs at all? I understand I need to sign away a
contributor agreement with the FSF, I have no problem with that (and
my employer is eager to, being a FLOSS company) but what do I need to
do exactly?

sorry for the wall of text

Have a nice day