Re: Is C-X ESC ESC malfunctioning?

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Is C-X ESC ESC malfunctioning?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:02:20 +0800

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 21:30:15 +0900
"d.henman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> While editting in the buffer, I checked the word count using
> M-x count-words
> This works well.  I then added some more text into the buffer and used the
> C-x ESC ESC  to rerun the command. "repeat-complex-command"
> But the following error is displayed in the mini-buffer.
> "eval: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil"

count-words is an interactive function: (count-words START END)

It count words between START and END, if called interactively, START and
END are the start and end of the buffer (if there is no active region).
If called from Lisp, it returns the number of words between START and
END, *without printing any message*.

If you use `repeat-complex-command' to perform the last command, it will
use `(count-words nil nil)'.  nil is not an integer or a marker, so an
error arises.

> I expected the C-x ESC ESC to perform without error just as if I entered the
> M-x count-words
> What should be expected here?

I'm not sure whether it is a bug or a feature here.

--
Xue Fuqiao
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/