Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 15:21:20 -0400

SM> AFAIK Emacs almost always links to glib indirectly nowadays, so it
SM> would probably be OK to replace the inotify version with the glib
SM> version.

Please don't.  Not every box where emacs is used runs x11, and glib
should not be a forced dependency.  Inotify(7) support is welcome
even on headless systems.

It is OK for systems where glib is linked anyway to make more use of it,
but loosing existing features on glib-less systems isn't welcome.

For comparison, the version of trunk on my workstation starts at 300M of
VM; the nox version of trunk Julien packages for deb starts at 58M (both
amd64 compiles) and the 32-bit nox version at 15M.  RSS is of course less,
but the difference remains important for right-sized servers with 512M or
less (sometimes a lot less) of ram.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6