Re: Emacs as the windows manager for graphical windows, How can I help?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs as the windows manager for graphical windows, How can I help?
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 21:45:59 +0200

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

> Is this going to be an "Emacs-on-X" only feature going into mainline,

No. The "xwidgets" name was spectacularily badly chosen. The "x" stems
from "eXternal", *not* "X11".

In retrospect "embedded widgets", would have given the name "the Emacs
Emwidget branch". Nobody would have understood that either, but it would
at least not caused all the confusion. I only recently understood this
confusion myself, which is why I havent changed the branch name. Now it
would be quite some work to change the internals to reflect a name change.

That said, the only Xwidget implementation there is, is based on GTK.

I did have a user telling me he had the xwidget branch working on OSX,
but I havent heard from him in a while.

> or is there some idea of universal hooks and implementations on other
> windowing systems?

The interface should be implementable on any sort of widget set that
allows for offscreen widgets and stuff like that. I'd be interested in
having a look at porting to other toolkits, but I want to have an actual
properly working gtk implementation first.

--
Joakim Verona