Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Copyright/Distribution questions (Emacs/Orgmode)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:31:45 +0900

Germán "A. Arias" writes:

 > If the Jambunathan's code is GPL, then I can copy, redistributed,
 > modify and add that code into other GPL projects, for example
 > Emacs.

But that's precisely the point here.  In the case of Emacs as a
project, *you* cannot.  The project *will* reject such code, for a
reason extraneous to the GPL license.  Namely, the owner of the
copyright refuses to yield it to the FSF.

If you mean that you can distribute a fork of Emacs containing that
code without infringing either license, yes, that's true.  Or a
separate project such as XEmacs theoretically could do that, both
legally and by project policy.