Directory structure changes in Emacs installed on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Directory structure changes in Emacs installed on MS-Windows
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 20:45:02 +0300

As part of my work on building the native MS-Windows Emacs using the
Posix configury and Makefile's, I intend to change the structure of
the installed Emacs directory tree, so that it more closely resembles
installations on Posix systems.  The details are below.

Does anyone see any disadvantages in making these changes?

Here's what the installed Emacs directory tree will look like:

  %emacs_dir%/bin -- binaries that users invoke: emacs.exe,
                     runemacs.exe, etags.exe, ctags.exe, addpm.exe

  %emacs_dir%/libexec/emacs/VERSION/i686-pc-mingw32 --
                     auxiliary binaries that Emacs invokes:
                     cmdproxy.exe, hexl.exe, ddeclient.exe

  %emacs_dir%/share/info -- Info manuals

  %emacs_dir%/share/man -- man pages

  %emacs_dir%/share/emacs/VERSION/lisp -- Lisp files

  %emacs_dir%/share/emacs/VERSION/leim -- Leim files

  %emacs_dir%/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp -- site-specific Lisp

  %emacs_dir%/share/emacs/VERSION/etc -- architecture-independent
                     files: DOC, tutorials, image files, themes, etc.

  %emacs_dir%/var/games/emacs -- Emacs game score files

%emacs_dir% stands for whatever directory Emacs is installed in, and
VERSION stands for the Emacs version, like 25.5.

The advantages of this arrangement, as I see them, are (1) it follows
the installation tree on Posix platforms, so will make things easier
for those who work on both kinds of platforms; (2) it will become
possible to have several Emacs versions installed that can be invoked
without any need to tweak PATH or rename the DOC file; (3) it will be
possible to share the installation tree with other platforms,
e.g., install Emacs on some remote volume shared via a network.

Comments?