Re: A unified project root interface

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 13:13:57 -0400

On 04/06/2013 09:25 AM, Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:13:10 +0100
Jorgen Schaefer<address@hidden>  wrote:

I did a quick implementation of my current ideas on the topic:

https://raw.github.com/jorgenschaefer/project-el/master/project.el

Quick run-down:

- If you only want to know the project root, you call (project-root)
   and never have to worry about anything else.
- This will call functions in `project-guess-root-functions' until one
   returns a non-nil value. This value is cached for future calls.
- The default functions use the current EDE project if any, or VC
   directory markers, or ask the user; can be extended as needed.
- When an extension provides a way to change the project root, they
   can call `project-set-root', which will run
   `project-root-changed-hook' so that other extensions (e.g. EDE) can
   intercept that and adjust themselves accordingly. Or even throw an
   error.

Other extensions should be able to build on that.

As the discussion died down: What would be the next step here?

I am probably too close to EDE to be very helpful in solving the wider problem, but I can offer a branch in the CEDET repository as a testing ground so that any changes needed in EDE can be easily made and tested in our test suites.

We can remove it from CEDET for maintenance elsewhere once the initial development is done. We can keep new tests around in CEDET to make sure EDE stays compatible.

Eric