Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 04:33:01 +0530

Barry Warsaw <address@hidden> writes:

> If I have a nasty itch to scratch, I have to just suck it up and learn the
> basics of all that in order to provide a patch or branch that is valuable
> enough to upstream

Before I could land my first patch in Orgmode, I had to pick up Emacs
Lisp, Git and also LibreOffice.  That is 3 barriers, right away.

My first patch to Emacs was a diff against a file which was downloaded
from Loggerhead.

> I'm *much* more concerned about the workflow, efficiency, and comfort of the
> project leaders, the people who are doing the bulk of the development work,
> reviewing and accepting branches and patches, making releases, etc.

Well said.

> OTOH, the sentiments above do count, in the sense that as a contributor, you
> are volunteering your time too.  Maybe you choose to only contribute to
> projects that use Ruby on Mercurial and only run on Debian ARM devices.
> As a volunteer, that's your prerogative.

Volunteers have the right to place conditions under which they can
contribute, particularly if the volunteer is a regular and is of some
standing and has reasons to believe that his views will atleast be read.

It is OK to lobby for one's and one's kin's interest or act in manner
that is political and wield both carrot and a stick.  There will be less
discord, if such moves are considered for what they are - political.

ps: Please, don't flame me for expressing my views here.