About PATH environment variable on OSX

From: Darren Hoo
Subject: About PATH environment variable on OSX
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 02:19:51 +0800

In the Emacs info manual F.1.1 Grabbing environment variables
it says and I quote:

      For the PATH and MANPATH variables, a system-wide method of setting
   PATH is recommended on Mac OS X 10.5 and later, using the `/etc/paths'
   files and the `/etc/paths.d' directory.

It doesn't work for me. This is my /etc/paths file:

$ cat /etc/paths
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin

but (getenv "PATH") gives "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
and I haven't used any (setenv "PATH" ...) in my init file.

I can confirm that PATH settings in the /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d are
never picked up by the programs launched from the Finder by writing a
simple Cocoa App.

I can not find any NS-specific code that read the /etc/paths file
either.

So I think the paragraph I quoted above in the manual is incorrect and
should be removed.