Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 09:29:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Couldn't "Org-mode" be made to work with the current convention?

Not really.  But you can make org-mode work on top of current
conventions, provided users set `orgstruct-heading-prefix-regexp'
to "^;;;+ " as a local file variable in their Elisp files, and
use `orgstruct-mode' for them.

In that case, they can fold/unfold lines starting with "^;;;+ \*+".

(This is in the next release.)

> That would be a lot more useful since it would "just work" on all
> the existing files.

Right now we can use `outline-minor-mode' for existing files that do
not "*" characters in the comment sections, and `orgstruct-mode' for
those who do.

Personally, I'm not in favor of enforcing a new convention for using
"*" in comment sections: this is aesthetically dubious, it relies on a
nice little hack that provides Org-like folding.

I'd be more in favor of making it easier to use `outline-minor-mode'
with current conventions (i.e. more accessible keybindings, etc.)

--
 Bastien