Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:04:38 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> But the lisp convention is the opposite:
>>
>> Right, that's because Lisp didn't think it through.
>> Luckily, we're only dealing with Elisp,
>
> I think it was thought through: don't use more than four levels!

But, citing your earlier post, the following example gives you only 2
levels for headlines plus two types of comments, and taking into account
that the file comment only appears once at the beginning of the file,
there is only one level left (;;;) for headlines. Thus in the actual
main (code) section of the library no hierarchical tree structure can be
build. I would not want to structure a 4000+ lines .emacs file with only
one level of headlines, in such big files I rather end up using 4 or 5
level or so.

;;;; -*- mode:lisp -*-

;;;;
;;;; File comment
;;;;

;;;
;;; Section comment
;;;

(defun code ()
  ;; indented comment
  (form)                 ; inline comment
  (form2)                ; long inline comment
  ;; indented comment
  (form3))

cheers,
Thorsten