split-window as a command

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: split-window as a command
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:58:49 +0200

[I sent this yesterday, but it appears to have gotten lost on the way;
apologies for the duplication if it does finally arrive.]

The doc string of split-window says "Interactively, SIZE is the prefix
argument."  But in fact, invoking split-window with a prefix argument
has no effect, because its interactive spec is "i".  Maybe this is just
a doc bug, since, when split-window was still a C function, its doc
string said "Interactively, all arguments are nil."  But I don't see why
it is a command at all any more: invoked interactively, it has exactly
the same effect as invoking split-window-below without a prefix
argument, and since the latter does not ignore a prefix argument passed
to it, it does more than interactively called split-window.  So it
appears to be superfluous for split-window to be a command.  Or am I
overlooking something?

Steve Berman