Re: git-1.8.2 support pulling from and pushing to a bzr branch

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: git-1.8.2 support pulling from and pushing to a bzr branch
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:22:32 -0500

> git-1.8.2, released in March, supports pulling from and pushing to bzr
> branches.  This should make it possible to contribute to Emacs using git
> without ever having to touch bzr directly.  Also read-only users won't
> be affected by the git mirrors lagging behind anymore - they can just
> pull themselves.

I found out about this support last week, so as you can imagine I immediately
jumped on it and cloned the Emacs BZR repository (which took a good long
while, but did succeed).

The resulting repository could not be updated (using git-fetch).  At first it
kept timing out trying to communicate with the remote bazaar server.  Then, it
started giving me an exception about "object 000000000 not existing", or
something like that.  I was never able to get the repository to function again
after that and deleted it.

So, I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure it's any more ready for
prime-time than the old git-bzr machinery was.

John