Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:37:21 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> PS
> There is one strange problem I have:
>
> I can not open org.el any more, now that the oldschool elisp headers are
> recognized by 'outshine' too. Its a big file, but size can't be the
> problem since other quite big files open within 1 or 2 seconds or so.
> When I try to open org.el, Emacs apparently goes into an infinite loop
> and uses 100pc CPU - I have to kill the Emacs process and restart Emacs
> to recover from that.
>
> What might be different in org.el than in all the other elisp files I
> tested so far to cause this problem?

FYI:

I figured out whats different in org.el and causes the problem described
above: its the one long line consisting only of ';' in the preamble,
just above the 'Commentary:' section.

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ;;; org.el --- Outline-based notes management and organizer
|
| ;; Carstens outline-mode for keeping track of everything.
| ;; Copyright (C) 2004-2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| ;;
| ;; Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten at orgmode dot org>
| ;; Maintainer: Bastien Guerry <bzg at gnu dot org>
| ;; Homepage: http://orgmode.org
| ;;
| ;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.
|
| [...]
|
| ;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
| ;; along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
| ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
| ;;
| ;;; Commentary:
| ;;
|
| [...]
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would prefer in this case not to investigate why this line causes such
problems but rather to consider writing such a line a bug.

So maybe Bastien could consider this a bug-report and remove this line?
Because otherwise org.el with its more than 23000 lines is just a
perfect example were the use of outline/outshine and navi-mode for file
structuring, high-level (over)views on the file and easy navigation
makes sense.

--
cheers,
Thorsten