Re: Compressing the Lisp and Info files in the MS-Windows installation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compressing the Lisp and Info files in the MS-Windows installation
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:55:57 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:13:14 -0700
>
> And even if they have gzip, some users will likely want to unzip all of the
> .el
> so that they can more easily grep etc.

How is this different from users on Posix platforms?

In any case, uncompressing all of the files is easy on any platform
that has gzip installed.

> Is the gain from compression worth making them go through that extra
> step?

I don't know the answer to that.  I asked this question (and stated
the disk space savings) to hear opinions.  Hearing questions instead
of answers doesn't really help ;-)

> Even though Emacs is bigger now than in the past, I would think that size
> (download & disk) is generally less of a problem nowadays than it used to be.

Indeed.  But still on Posix platforms, compression is the default for
some reasons, although these same considerations clearly apply there
as well.