Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:08:25 +0200

17 apr 2013 kl. 01:52 skrev YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden>:

> My proof-of-concept cairo port was primarily intended for the printing
> support, not for screen drawing (though it does both).
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00390.html
>
> Screen drawing in the cairo port is not so efficient for several
> reasons.  To make it more efficient, one would need some modest
> modifications to the current drawing model in Emacs.
>
>  1. Don't draw during redisplay, but mark the updated area dirty so
>     the upcoming exposure event can trigger the actual redraw for the
>     area to be updated.
>  2. Restrict the actual drawings to those in response to exposure
>     events.  This is the standard way in GTK+ and Cocoa.  That would
>     make double-buffering straightforward in GTK+ builds.

Double buffering in the Gtk+ is not turned off because of the expose handler,
but because Gtk+ can not double buffer text/images not drawn with Gtk/Gdk
primitives, and Emacs uses X primitives.  So changing the way expose handler
works does absolutely nothing to make Gtk+ double buffering easier.

        Jan D.