About GSoC 2013

From: xfq
Subject: About GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:32:06 +0800

Hi,

Having used Emacs for almost 4 years, I am a Chinese student in Beijing,
and I have experience with both C and Lisp.  I'd like to work on Emacs
under the GNU umbrella for GSoC 2013.  There are several ideas:

* Improve VC
  There's a lot of work to be done there.  vc-pull, vc-push, vc-ignore,
  dealing with branches and so on.  I'm not quite familiar with VC, but
  it worth my time to investigate it.  I think Paul, Stefan, ESR and ttn
  are really good mentors on this idea.

* Guix support
  An Emacs interface to GNU Guix[fn:1], like Tom's `package.el'.

* emacs-xwidget
  Like Daimrod[fn:2], I'm also interested in contributing to the
  `emacs-xwidget' branch.  It will be great if Joakim can be my mentor.
  There's a lot of work to be done in this branch (I'm reading the long
  README.xwidget now), so Daimrod and me can work in the same branch
  with little conflict.  (Joakim will be pretty busy, tho.)

* Having tabs above a window to switch buffers in it.

* Extending text properties
** zero-width text properties
** Text property that says "don't break line in middle of this".
   Don't break the line between two characters that have the
   same value of this property.

* Set up a facility to save backtraces when errors happen during
specified filters, specified timers, and specified hooks.

* Maybe replace etags.c with a Lisp implementation.
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-06/msg00354.html

* Merge ibuffer.el and buff-menu.el.
  More specifically do what's needed to make ibuffer.el the default,
  or just an extension of buff-menu.el.

* Add "link" button class
  Add a standard button-class named "link", and make all other link-like
  button classes inherit from it.  Set the default face of the "link" button
  class to the standard "link" face.

All these are just ideas (many of them are from etc/TODO), and of course
you can suggest something different for any of them.

I've already done the copyright assignment, and I'm already a member of
the emacs group on Savannah.[fn:3]

If you are interested in mentoring any of these projects (or you have
any other ideas), post it here (or contact me personally)!  Thank you.

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

[fn:2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00486.html

[fn:3] https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=emacs