Re: About GSoC 2013

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: About GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:29:00 +0530

> All these are just ideas (many of them are from etc/TODO), and of course
> you can suggest something different for any of them.

Stefan Monnier - the Emacs maintainer - has already indicated two
projects.

Both concern overlays.  A very dedicated and an ambitious contributor
can, by pushing the limits, can even get intimate with the display
engine - apparently one of the holy grails.

1. Using interval trees for overlays
   Programming language: C

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00308.html

2. Introduction of "text planes".
   Programming language:  Mostly Emacs Lisp, may involve some C

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-10/msg00177.html

For the most ambitious of the students,

3. Improving the performance of the display engine particularly for a
   typical Orgmode workload.

   Focus on Eli's followups in this thread.

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-04/msg00696.html.

There may be some requirements on concurrent Emacs side.  I have never
seen a self-contained, well-defined work item myself.

Jambunathan K.