Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el shadows top-level .dir-locals.el
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:00:15 -0400

> lisp/gnus has this vital .dir-locals.el:
>   ((emacs-lisp-mode . ((show-trailing-whitespace . t))))
> (Which seems like personal preference to me.)

I tend to agree, tho it might actually reflect a coding convention used
for all of Gnus code.

> Anyway, this prevents the actually-has-useful-content
> (log-edit-rewrite-fixes etc) top-level Emacs .dir-locals.el from
> being seen.

Indeed (I didn't notice it because I always commit from a vc-dir buffer
showing the whole of `emacs' rather than a particular subdirectory).

> The simplest solution seems not to have lisp/gnus/.dir-locals.el in the
> Emacs repo. (Rather than duplicating all the top-level content into the
> Gnus one, or implementing .dir-locals inheritance, desirable though that
> might be.)

I'll let the Gnus people decide what they prefer in the short term, but
dir-locals inheritance would be very welcome.

        Stefan