emacswiki GSOC

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: emacswiki GSOC
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 00:41:25 +0900

Nic Ferrier writes:

 > The guy who approached me asked if he could work on the emacswiki stuff
 > under the GNU project or under the Emacs project (which have got GSOC
 > approval I think).

Emacs is not a GSoC org, and it has no visible presence in a quick
look at the ideas page.  Hard to see how Emacs is not going to get
slots if it wants them, though.

 > I'm presuming this is not possible... but can someone confirm for me?

By whose rules?  I see no reason why Google would have a problem with
it, as long as you're talking about coding.  One-off scripts to move
emacswiki content to the new elwiki wouldn't cut it, I'm afraid[1],
but code for the wiki itself, or a special version of Emacs
performance-tuned for wiki use would be OK.

If you're thinking about deadlines, well, lack of time and lack of
explicit contact with the community (especially the GNU org and Emacs
suborg admins -- Emacs is not a GSoC org) will (should?) hurt a lot,
but he's still got almost 3 days, I think.

But you need mentors who need to be accepted by the GNU GSoC org,
that's the big hurdle.  I think mentors can still register, but
jumping in at the last minute this way, if I were the org admin, well,
*I* would say it better be a blockbuster project and superman mentors.

I'm not authoritative for Google or GNU.  But if you've got the
mentors I don't see how it could hurt to ask.

Footnotes:
[1]  But note that GNU Mailman does have a project for a *robust* set
of scripts which *will* be a permanent part of Mailman 3, to move
Mailman 2.1 lists to the very different Mailman 3 format.