Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 19:30:42 +0300

> Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:30:28 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> I've been trying to build the latest trunk (plus your patch) from my
> MSYS environment, with support for the libraries I use to successfully
> include in my w32 builds (configured with "configure.bat"): XPM, JPEG,
> TIFF, GIF, PNG, GNUTLS and XML.
>
> The configure script successfully detects them, except for the last
> two (GNUTLS and XML), and for now I've failed to see what the problem
> is.

I think it's because you didn't install pkg-config, or maybe it is not
on PATH.  The configure script uses it (for some of the optional
libraries, not for all of them) to find out which compiler and linker
switches to use for each of these packages.  And configure thinks you
don't have pkg-config, as this fragment from config.log shows:

  configure:8730: checking for pkg-config
  configure:8761: result: no

Without pkg-config, configure uses the wrong compiler switches to try
compiling test programs, which therefore fail, causing the configure
script to decide you don't have these libraries.

You can find a URL from which you can download pkg-config in
INSTALL.MSYS.  Note: this is a native Windows port, so install it in
the MinGW tree, not in the MSYS tree.

Also note that when you install GnuTLS and libxml2 from my ports, they
also install *.pc files in lib/pkg-config/.  These are the files that
pkg-config will consult when the configure script invokes it.
Therefore, I suggest that you keep the directory tree in my zip files
intact, or else you will need to manually edit these *.pc files to
match your installation.  I'm saying that because this:

>   $ CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 -Ic:/usr/include/gnutls
> -Ic:/usr/include/noX -Ic:/usr/include' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3'
> ../mybranch/nt/msysconfig.sh --prefix=c:/usr --enable-checking

clearly shows that you moved the GnuTLS headers into
usr/include/gnutls, which is not what gnutls.pc file says.  Likewise
with the lib*.a static and import libraries: you need to have them in
the same place where the corresponding .pc says they can be found.

As I wrote in INSTALL.MSYS, I suggest to install everything into a
single tree, preserving the directories recorded in the zip.  Just
unzip everything from the same parent directory, and you should be
fine.