Re: flx -- flex with better sorting

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: flx -- flex with better sorting
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 01:27:48 +0800

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
Le Wang <address@hidden> writes:

>> 4. Sometimes it fails to work as advertised. For instance, if I type
>>    `ltx' this file is shown first on the list of matches:
>>
>> lib/Target/NVPTX/NVPTXLowerAggrCopies.h
>>
>> but I would expect
>>
>> lib/Target/X86/* (* meaning any file under that subdirectory).
>>

> 1. The algorithm favors basepaths heavily.
> 2. I ended up considering all capitals to be beginning of word.
>
> This means ltx is matching as expected.  As you supply more letters, better
> results should float to the top.

Okay. Knowing this makes for a much more effective usage.

>> 5. Another quirk is that it rejects capital letters. For instance, if I
>>    type `lT' it shows no matches, but in fact there are lots of files
>>    like this:
>>
>> lib/Target/...
>>
>> Actually, typing just `T' fails to find any candidate, but there are
>> lots files with a capital T on its name.
>>

> I hadn't considered people might do this.  :-)  Will fix soon.

Ideally, when using capital letters those candidates that matched case
would get higher points.

I fixed this bug.  Capital letters are considered word beginnings so they are always preferred.

More quirks:

C-s, C-r etc stops working on ido after enabling flx.

I opened a bug on github to track this.

One Emacs instance started to quickly use memory and had to kill it when
noticed that the system was furiously paging. That Emacs instance was
doing nothing, just showing a prompt of 3 candidates for kill-buffer.

It'd be good to get repro steps for this.

With ido, C-x k (kill-buffer) usually offers the current buffer as the
first candidate. After activating flx, that's not necessarily so.

The completion list should change until you hit the first letter.  After that flx takes over sorting.  Is this what you're seeing?

While navigating directory trees with find-file, at certain point no
candidates where listed as soon as any string was entered. With no
input, all candidates were shown. I was unable to replicate the problem.

I opened a bug on github to track this.  But I don't actually use ido, so it may take some time to get around to this.  Follow up in the bug if you have more repro details.

Thanks.

--
Le