Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 22:40:58 +0300

> Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 21:30:44 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> Indeed, I didn't have pkg-config installed, sorry (I thought that the
> packages auto-installed by mingw-get were enough already).

pkg-config is not a MinGW package, so mingw-get knows nothing about
it.

> > Also note that when you install GnuTLS and libxml2 from my ports, they
> > also install *.pc files in lib/pkg-config/.  These are the files that
> > pkg-config will consult when the configure script invokes it.
> > Therefore, I suggest that you keep the directory tree in my zip files
> > intact, or else you will need to manually edit these *.pc files to
> > match your installation.  I'm saying that because this:
> >
> >>   $ CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 -Ic:/usr/include/gnutls
> >> -Ic:/usr/include/noX -Ic:/usr/include' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3'
> >> ../mybranch/nt/msysconfig.sh --prefix=c:/usr --enable-checking
> >
> > clearly shows that you moved the GnuTLS headers into
> > usr/include/gnutls, which is not what gnutls.pc file says.  Likewise
> > with the lib*.a static and import libraries: you need to have them in
> > the same place where the corresponding .pc says they can be found.
>
> No, I didn't move any file of the libraries or packages from their
> original position in the zip files.  I just tried to pass that path
> (c:/usr/include/gnutls) to the compiler as a desperate attempt to
> solve the configure problem.

Then don't do that, because it's wrong.  The include directives in the
C sources say something like

  #include <gnutls/foo.h>

so if you add -Ic:/usr/include/gnutls to the compiler switches, the
compiler will look for c:/usr/include/gnutls/gnutls/foo.h, which
doesn't exist.

> After seeing the error messages, I installed the "p11-kit" package
> (from your site "http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports";) and now
> the configure script finally does find the gnutls library:

Great.  I added a few details to INSTALL.MSYS, so that others could
avoid similar pitfalls.