Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 11:50:56 +0300

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 23:42:08 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> > You installed the MSYS Texinfo package, didn't you?
>
> Not explicitly.  I think it is part of the `msys-info' package.
>
> BTW, that is the only Texinfo I've ever used, even for producing the
> info files whenever I've bootstrapped Emacs.
>
> >  My guess is that
> > it doesn't support compressed Info files, so it thinks they are not
> > there.  What does "install-info --version" say in the MSYS Bash
> > window?
>
>   $ install-info --version
>   install-info (GNU texinfo) 4.13

Strange, v4.13 does support compressed Info files.  Perhaps try
invoking it from the command line, and see if it reports any errors.

> > If nothing gives a clue, I suggest to uninstall the MSYS Texinfo
> > package and install the MinGW port of Texinfo from my site instead.
> > That's what I used.  If you decide to go this way, make sure you also
> > have a MinGW gzip.
>
> ok, I'll try it if I don't see where is the problem with my MSYS Texinfo.

Alternatively, you could say

  make install GZIP_INFO=

in which case the Info files will not be compressed, and install-info
should be happy even if it doesn't support compressed files.
Installing without compressing Info files might be a good idea anyway,
since a previous discussion seemed to indicate Windows users won't
like them compressed.  If you also want not to compress Lisp files,
add GZIP_PROG= to the above command line.