Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r395: * company.el (company-capf): Add support f

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r395: * company.el (company-capf): Add support for `sorted' and `post-completion'.
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 23:22:50 -0400

>>> I'm not sure recommending to users to write new backends in a way
>>> incompatible with older Emacs is good.
>> It is in my interest to encourage all users to move to a more
>> recent Emacs.
> I still don't like the dissonance between the "Compatibility" header and
> this recommendation, not far below it. But if you insist, let's keep it
> that way.

I definitely do not insist on it.  I just explain why I committed the
code this way.  But as maintainer of company, you're free to make
a different decision.

>> And even more so to encourage them to move away from `cl'
>> (which will be a long and arduous path, so every bit helps).
> While we're on the subject of `cl', why not use `cl-lib' and `cl-case'?

No strong reason:
1- cl-lib is even more bleeding-edge.
2- I wrote pcase, so I like pcase.

> I guess that is true.  And if you're just arguing against having a similar
> field in `completion-extra-properties', I'm fine with that.

That's indeed the point.

> package.el doesn't have an easy way to install a non-latest version
> of a package, so it will affect any users with old Emacs who are updating or
> reinstalling the package. Provided they sometimes use `company-begin-with',
> of course.

GNU ELPA is mostly meant for Emacs>=24.  We don't actively try to
prevent users of Emacs<24 from using GNU ELPA, but several of GNU ELPA
packages only work in Emacs>=24.

We can/should add a package-require for (emacs "24.1") or whichever
version is needed, so that package.el won't automatically upgrade to
a package that doesn't work in the currently running Emacs.

        Stefan