Re: C-x C-e with prefix arg

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-x C-e with prefix arg
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 11:30:23 +0300

> IMO, it is important that `C-x C-e' with a plain `C-u' (more generally, with
> a non-negative prefix arg) ignore those options altogether and print the
> full value.  That was the _point_ of my suggestion, from the beginning.

Isn't truncated output intended mostly for beginners
to not overwhelm them with long output?  If yes,
then it should be used by default.

> Most of the time when you want to print the value, you want the whole value,
> not an abbreviation.  That's my claim.

I agree that most of the time you want the whole value.
That's why I have in ~/.emacs ;-)

  (custom-set-variables
   '(eval-expression-print-length nil)
   '(eval-expression-print-level nil)

But the question is what should be the default behavior.
It seems this feature for the elided display of long lists
was created with the intention to be used by default.