Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r395: * company.el (company-capf): Add support f

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/elpa r395: * company.el (company-capf): Add support for `sorted' and `post-completion'.
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:35:21 +0400

On 06.05.2013 7:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Like the header in company.el says, we still try to support Emacs 22 and
23. `pcase' was only added in 23.3, I believe.
But this is in a comment, so it's not a problem.
I'm not sure recommending to users to write new backends in a way
incompatible with older Emacs is good.
It is in my interest to encourage all users to move to a more
recent Emacs.
I still don't like the dissonance between the "Compatibility" header and
this recommendation, not far below it. But if you insist, let's keep it
that way.

I definitely do not insist on it.  I just explain why I committed the
code this way.  But as maintainer of company, you're free to make
a different decision.

Ok, thanks. I reverted this and the other bit that explicitly required lexical binding.
I'll be sure to bring them back when we say goodbye to Emacs 23.

package.el doesn't have an easy way to install a non-latest version
of a package, so it will affect any users with old Emacs who are updating or
reinstalling the package. Provided they sometimes use `company-begin-with',
of course.

GNU ELPA is mostly meant for Emacs>=24.  We don't actively try to
prevent users of Emacs<24 from using GNU ELPA, but several of GNU ELPA
packages only work in Emacs>=24.

That just means that discontinuing support for Emacs 23 is allowed.

We can/should add a package-require for (emacs "24.1") or whichever
version is needed, so that package.el won't automatically upgrade to
a package that doesn't work in the currently running Emacs.

Sure. js2-mode, for example, already does that.