Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:08:45 +0200

On Sun, May 12 2013, Robert Park wrote:

Hi Robert,

> You may be familiar with the snapshot packaging work done by Damien
> Cassou; however his method is largely to build by hand once every
> couple weeks, I am using Launchpad recipes to achieve the same thing
> every day, in an entirely automated fashion.

As far as I know, Damien used the packaging I maintain at:

   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/acid/emacs-snapshot.git;a=summary

> To achieve this, I have written all new packaging metadata from
> scratch, discarding many years of legacy cruft from the debian build
> system (where the debian packaging weighs in at 4900 lines of code, I
> have nearly achieved feature parity with only 1495 lines of code).

Ok, this claim makes me smile. The actual Debian packaging is not 4900
lines. Sure, the files in debian/ are around that number of lines… with
a ChangeLog files of 3325. There isn't that much code at all, even the
debian/rules file is only 400 SLOC long.

That said, what's the reason for you not to try to improve the already
existing and working code?

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker # freelance consultant