Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu

From: Robert Park
Subject: Re: Call for testing: Daily snapshot builds of Emacs for Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 20:36:53 -0700

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Barry Warsaw <address@hidden> wrote:
> On May 11, 2013, at 05:06 PM, Robert Park wrote:
>>* No support for elisp packages installed by dpkg. This issue is
>>unfortunately more complicated than simply twiddling load-path and I'm
>>still investigating it. However, I consider this issue quite minor
>>because package.el support is *superb* in trunk and I highly recommend
>>it's flexibility over the elisp packages installed by dpkg.
>
> Still, I think this would need to be solved to be a serious contender for
> replacing the Debian-inherited Emacs package for Ubuntu.

Yes, of course. I never suggested that I would want my packaging to
become the official ubuntu package without any support for elisp debs.

All I'm saying is that I have a PPA which will always contain a
version of Emacs that is less than 24 hours old. This is useful to
Ubuntu users who want to develop or test the latest version of Emacs,
because they can install it and automatically get updates every day,
without having to do any work at all. The benefits are that it's
completely automated, so even if I take a vacation, users of my PPA
continue receiving daily updates.

Julien's emacs-snapsot package does not actually get imported into
Ubuntu at all[0] (or at least not since 2009), and emacs24 seems stuck
at 24.2[1], so I am actually filling a very real void here for Ubuntu
users who wish to avoid stale versions of Emacs.

[0] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs-snapshot
[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs24