Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:01:44 -0400

On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:22:45 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Does char-displayable-p detect that this glyph cannot be displayed in
>> your environment?

SM> It might/should when he uses LANG=C but not when he uses a utf-8
environment.

>> If so, perhaps we could have the cake and eat it, too.

SM> I don't think we can (even less so if you consider emacsclient use).

SM> But most of the people I showed it to liked the feature, which is why
SM> I'd like to keep it ON by default, even though it's obviously not
SM> a terribly important feature.

I heard from one friend who had trouble because of it already.  He
blamed me ("the Emacs guy") of course :)

As much as I like the feature and will keep it on for myself, I vote to
turn it off.  It should be a top-level preference "glyphify" in
`prog-mode' and easy to turn on, though.  There's many other languages and
contexts where it's handy, and a unified front for it would be nice.

For instance, I use the pretty-lambdas thingy for all Lisp work, and it
makes sense for Python, but not for Perl.  `prog-mode' could support that[1].

Ted

[1] it probably already does, of course