Re: reveal-filename

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: reveal-filename
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 11:11:21 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:28:30 -0400
>
> Could we find some other name for this function?

You are welcome to suggest any name you like.  The only semi-important
consideration I had in mind was not to have too long a name, so as not
to require reformatting of too many lines in Makefile.in files.

> Either we treat it as some "internal auxiliary" function used to build
> Emacs, in which case it should have a more discreet name, maybe starting
> with "internal-" or some such thingy that makes it clear noone else will
> want to use it.

Experience shows that calling a function 'internal-something' tends to
attract a certain kind of Emacs users to that function, where a more
"innocent" name would normally leave it under the radar...

> "Produce the real file name for FILE" isn't sufficiently descriptive
> to decide when it's buggy and when it's not.

That's unfair: the doc string does explain what this function does.
You quoted only the first line of the doc string.