Re: emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:32:23 -0500

Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I already had that in my init.el. I've also tried creating an empty
>> file and setting it to fundamental-mode. In both these cases the
>> behavior is the same.
>
>Hm...is it the same with emacs -Q?
>
>> I did notice that emacs is faster - but still unusably slow - when
>> toggle-truncate-lines is true.
>
>Try (setq-default cache-long-line-scans t) too.

That should help a lot.

If there are any other tricks for making Emacs behave better with long
lines, you might be able to find them in the Ale source code, which is
reachable from http://red-bean.com/ale/ .

Ale is a genetic sequence alignment editor written in Emacs.  Each line
a buffer represents one organism's sequence, e.g. a ribosomal RNA
sequence, so can easily be 2MB or more in length.  cache-long-line-scans
was in fact added partly to support this, IIRC; there may be other
tricks in the Ale source code (I don't remember after all these years),
so it might be worth a look.

-K