Re: emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 20:25:55 +0400

On 05/20/2013 07:59 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

But it won't succeed to make Emacs usable with such files.  E.g., try
this:

   M->
   C-p

and count the seconds it takes to perform the second command.

What Emacs does behind the scenes is go to the beginning of the
previous _physical_ line (which is quite fast in this case), and the
go all the way down the humongously long line, one character at a
time, until it finds the place to put the cursor.  Unless we make
radical changes in this algorithm, how can anyone expect reasonable
performance from this?

This is pretty ugly because both previous-line and next-line uses
Fforward_line, which uses scan_newline, which _does not_ use newline
cache :-(. Due to the above, I believe that the use of scan_newline
should be limited to *Messages* buffer tricks, and other users should
be converted to use find_newline instead.

Dmitry