Zombie subprocesses (again)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Zombie subprocesses (again)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 04:34:08 +0200

Hello,

I'm using emacs-snapshot on Debian, a four days old build of trunk.

I didn't know about this zombie subprocess bug (bug#12980) at all until
today, where I experienced the following:

- I start Emacs in X as a different user (via gksu), or

- I start Emacs from an X session that was started with startx

In such an Emacs, any child process seems to become a zombie after
being finished.  E.g., when I type "exit" in an *terminal* running bash,
there is still a running buffer process.  As a symptom, CPU
is used at 100% until I C-x C-c.

However, if I log in via display manager and don't switch to another
user via gksu, this doesn't happen.  And: it happens with the gtk
version as well as with lucid, but not with emacs -nw in an xterm.

Is this a new issue?  Or could it be my setup?

Thanks,

Michael.