Re: GnuTLS updates proposal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GnuTLS updates proposal
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 00:47:41 -0400

SM> Now I lost you.  How did we go from "gnutls" to "we"?
SM> Shouldn't some gnutls guys take care of that?

> So far they have not and it's not a priority to them.  Eli did a lot of
> work cleaning up the code and getting it to compile--it's thanks to him
> that Emacs has a recent GnuTLS DLL.

So, why should this fall on us?  I mean, is Emacs the only program
using gnutls?
If so, why?  what do other programs use?
If not, what do the other programs do about it?

> So, as far as building the GnuTLS DLLs, I'm hopeful we'll find a way to
> automate that but not hopeful that it will happen on the GnuTLS
> maintainers' side.  Building them on Mac OS X is trivial.  This is the
> "hard work" part and Eli already pointed out we'll need volunteers and
> resources.

Ah, so the problem is not only for Windows but also for Mac OS X?

> Whoever provides the actual DLLs, there has to be a package maintainer
> for the GNU ELPA package of GnuTLS;

As a user, I wouldn't like it for a program such as Emacs to decide it
will take over responsibility for a generic library used by other
programs, so I find the idea of distributing it via GNU ELPA rather odd.

        Stefan