Re: windows build failure

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows build failure
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 05:46:40 +0300

> Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:27:28 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 05/29/13 13:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If we do this somewhere (e.g., in nt/config.nt):
> >
> >  #define restrict __restrict
> >
> > would this solve the problem even when -std=gnu99 is not in use?
>
> It might, yes.  But it's probably better not to.
>
> If 'configure' is using different CFLAGS than 'make' is using,
> there are likely other screwups, some of which could well cause
> subtle runtime failures.  It could well be a good thing that
> the messed-up build is failing so reliably.

This problem was reported for the build that does not use the Posix
configure script, but the old Windows makefile.w32-in files.  Those do
not probe the compiler like the configure script does, and they use
-std=gnu99 only in the non-optimized build.

So I think using __restrict is the right cure for that situation, and
it should be good enough, since that way of building is deprecated.

Thanks.