Best practices for sql-list-(table|all)?

From: Trevor Murphy
Subject: Best practices for sql-list-(table|all)?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 23:41:48 -0400

Hello, sql-mode-ers!

I'm revisiting SQL for work and I'd like to use Emacs as appropriate.  Unfortunately I don't have a local wizard to point me in the correct direction when I'm confused by sql-mode and sql-interactive-mode quirks.

For instance: I'm noticing that I must explicitly quit out of view-mode after each invocation of sql-list-all / sql-list-table on a particular table.  (I'm calling these commands frequently to look up schema and table elements as I learn the database layout).  If instead of quitting out of view-mode I just switch back to my sql-mode buffer, the second call to the sql-list-foo command gives a "Buffer is read-only" error.  Even after reading the source, I can't tell if this is a bug or a pebkac.  If the former, I'm happy to dig in and try to fix it.  If the latter, I'd love to know how the work flow goes for familiar users.

Thanks for any insight, and please push me to another list if appropriate.

Trevor