Re: syntax-propertize-function vs indentation lexer

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: syntax-propertize-function vs indentation lexer
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 05:15:06 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, syntax-propertize-function is only called from font-lock. So it
>> only runs on the visible part of the buffer, and only when font-lock is
>> enabled. So if neither of those conditions is present, the lexer fails
>> on character constants. In particular, I have a test suite that runs in
>> batch mode, when global-font-lock-mode is off.
>
> "syntax propertization" is done lazily, so if/when you need it, you need
> to call `syntax-propertize'.  In many cases it's done for you
> (e.g. indent-according-to-mode makes sure it's propertized til the end
> of the current line), but not in all cases.

The doc string for syntax-propertize-function only mentions
font-lock, not indentation etc; it should say "most syntax uses", or
better, list all the places it is called.

> Not sure why propertization isn't done for you in the case
> of indentation.  Maybe because you sometimes look after the current line?
> Or because your indentation doesn't go through
> indent-according-to-mode?

The later; I'm parsing the entire buffer with an LALR parser in
ada-mode, and whenever it changes, and caching the results for use by
indent. So far it's quite fast.

So I need to call

(syntax-propertize (point-max))

in ada-mode and