Re: BBDB v3 approaching release

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: BBDB v3 approaching release
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:42:48 -0400

On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:50:51 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
wrote:

SJT> Ted Z's proposal for enhancing ELPA packages' ability to find their
SJT> stuff is a first step in the right direction, I think.

Sorry, I don't know what I proposed :)

SJT> But AFAIK there is no spec for *user* FHS.

Besides ELPA, don't forget el-get.  It has its own directory structure
by necessity.  I don't see a problem with innovation at the user
directory level, as long as it doesn't leak into the system software.

SJT> I think what ELPA should do is provide a suite of functions for
SJT> finding package resources such as elisp (installed), the source
SJT> tree, graphics and other multimedia, helper files for external apps
SJT> (eg, the bbdb-print TeX style files), helper executables, and so
SJT> on.

The data link between Emacs and the OS and other software installed
within is pretty fragile so I don't think this is an easy integration
task.  Internally to Emacs it's no problem of course.  I think the
answer is to reduce dependency on external tools.  Emacs can do most
things on its own; `bbdb-print' is a very unusual case.

Ted